Saturday, July 26, 2008

A sign o' the season?

Black-eyed susans. They're my favorite perennial, and they cover nearly half of our flower beds now. They'll take over the yard like weeds if you let them. And after each winter, they look pathetic. Sickly, sparse ... hardly able to recover from the snow. Then, long about June, they seem happy again. Green, full, lush.

Now they're in full bloom, and I'm sad. Its a love/hate relationship. Its like all the back-to-school supplies adorning the shelves at Wal-mart (and pretty soon ... Halloween candy) -- a sign o' the season.

Summer is coming to an end.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are my favorite too! I had a whole bunch and lost them when we added a patio - I miss them. I'm sad about summer too - it is going way too fast. Try to soak the rest up!

Cari

July 27, 2008  
Blogger Julie said...

Wow, the flowers are beautiful! I'd love to see your entire garden! I was just at a store and noticed the Halloween stuff out. A bit too early IMO. Enjoy the next few weeks of summer!

July 27, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home