Monday, August 11, 2008

I think he missed the "no trespassing" sign?

Ran into this little gem tonight as I went to let Logan out. I did a double take as I nearly missed stepping on it. Apparently he missed the whole I-don't-like-rodent-creatures near or on the premises.

They're fine in a pond, they're cute in pictures, but I don't want to co-habitat with turtles. But I can't blame the poor thing -- all animals around here are seeking higher ground with the overabundance of rainfall we've had the past few days.


Upon further investigation, I determined that this was a snapping turtle. Dad pulled up just in time (and complete coincidence) to assure me he wouldn't have done damage to my big toe for about 10 more years...



What's the wooden spoon for, you ask? Strictly a gauge of measurement for picture purposes, and (Until Dad showed up) I had intentions of using it strategically to shoo it out the back door.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Count yourself lucky to have turtles. We live inland San Diego with a recent influx of tarantulas. After the fires in October, most of our snake fencing burned so I am constantly on the look out for scorpions and rattlesnakes in the backyard until we can finish this ridiculously long process of rebuilding.

I am totally ok with finding and fishing out frogs from the pool (even the occasional swimming mouse) but I turn to jelly finding snake skin and half eaten scorpions. At least I have only found remnants of dead ones. But it makes me on edge even knowing they are out there! I think I almost fainted when I saw what I mistakenly identified as a FAKE kids rubber spider in the grass only to find upon closer inspection it was a real, giant black furry tarantula. Now I see giant webs everywhere, but it is probably more in my imagination.

Rebecca

August 14, 2008  
Blogger Julie said...

Yikes! How did you end up shooing it away?

August 16, 2008  
Blogger Chrissie said...

Ha! Dad gave him a good toss into the grapes behind the house...and we hope he didn't land on his back :-)

August 18, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home