Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Self-proclaimed vet

Much like an old(er) car, an aging dog seems to break down easily. I never would have classified Logan in the "independent, hardy breed" category, and as he gets older, its more and more evident. According to the chart at the vet's office, he's officially a senior citizen. I'm anxiously awaiting the monthly AARP magazines.

Fresh out of the breeders hands, Logan was "blessed" with various ailments including, but not limited to: allergies, ear "stuff", and chronic vomiting. The allergies, similar to humans, he grew out of ... the chronic vomiting still makes it rounds every so often, thus the confinement to the room in our house with the least valuables and oldest carpet when we leave.

The vet bill for the past two weeks is up to $299. We started off with a casual visit to the vet (no emergency) to have hip x-rays done due to his occasional limp and stiffness. Ok, no big deal - I expected a pretty good chunk of change, but we wanted to know for certain the extent of his arthritis. $265. later - mild case and new medicine that, hopefully, won't give him the "runs" this time around.

A few days after the x-rays, we noticed Logan having some "bladder issues". I figured the x-ray experience upset him, but just to be certain, $34. later - a pee analysis. It was negative, but "something" wasn't quite right in the sample - indicating possible kidney failure or a thyroid problem. An appointment is scheduled for additional blood work. Cha...ching!

Tonight he was gnawing at his paw. Upon further investigation, he appears to have chewed off some skin from his one pad. I wasn't thrilled with the prospect of tiny droplets of blood on our less-than-a-year old carpet. And knowing Logan, he wouldn't be happy about bunking out in the garage. I took matters into my own hands. A little neosporin and a sock with tape can go a long way.

And no matter what the ailment, whatever food is on the counter is way more important.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Oh my! I hope that you can doctor him back to good health!

August 30, 2008  
Blogger CaraBee said...

We have the feline version of Logan at our house, including allergies, ear stuff and vomiting. In her 8 years she has cost me untold thousands in vet bills. I love her, but man oh man, is she trouble sometimes.

September 05, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home