Monday, October 26, 2009

Fall in the (new) Neighborhood

This time of year was always unique in our old neighborhood. With a good many acres of grapes both in front and in back of our home, it was certainly pleasant smelling on warm fall days.

By now, the grapes are gone. What's left? A giagantic amount of leaves in the yard - both from the vineyards and the well-established trees on the road. I don't miss that work. I wonder how the new owners are doing ... I think about them often.

I also hope they set lots of mouse traps. Harvesting the grapes also means mice. We were always well-prepared for the little buggers.

There's a handful of things I miss about our old homestead. Silly things, but things I took for granted until moving into our new home: Our neighbors, the smell of grapes, a full moon not blocked by street lights, and watching the sun come up from the bathroom window and watching it set from the front door. And for some odd reason, I miss our post office.

Each week, I grow more accustom to my new surroundings. I love the fact that when the furnace kicks off, the house stays warm. I love air-tight windows. I love a 7-year old house with no drafts. I enjoy the view from my kitchen window. I love no wallpaper.

This is the first fall in our new house.

Things are good.



1 Comments:

Blogger dreamer said...

awesome pictures! I've had that same sort of transition going from acres of land to less than a 1/4 acre!

November 22, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home