Loved Ones and our Pets ... nearly the same?
October was a month filled with many dates to remember for our family - some good, some bad.
In October 2000, our "family cat" (at the ripe old age of 19, 20 - some ungodly old age that a cat shouldn't live to...) died. I'm sure when my parents thought up this Christmas "gift" of a kitten way back when, they never thought she'd nearly make it into the world record books for oldest cat.
The unique situation about this cat (affectionately just called "kitty") was my parents left her behind when they moved out in 1999. Before you start feeling too sorry for "kitty", Chris and I bought my old homestead, so the cat was still among "family." My Mom had made up her mind that "kitty" was just too set in her ways to be moved to a new home. Chris, wanting a dog terribly by this time, questioned this theory, but figured dear old kitty wasn't long for this world anyways...and she'd soon be replaced with a spry, young, new puppy.
A week after the cat died, my grandmother passed away. As people expressed their condolences, Mom and I would respond the same way "Yes, it's been a rough month ... first our kitty died, and now my Mom/Grandmother passed away".
If you're not an animal lover, this response probably seems pretty odd and perhaps a bit unusual. However, its become quite clear to me that our pets, like family members, become part of our daily routine. When they're not around - life seems empty, and we miss them when they're gone.
In October 2000, our "family cat" (at the ripe old age of 19, 20 - some ungodly old age that a cat shouldn't live to...) died. I'm sure when my parents thought up this Christmas "gift" of a kitten way back when, they never thought she'd nearly make it into the world record books for oldest cat.
The unique situation about this cat (affectionately just called "kitty") was my parents left her behind when they moved out in 1999. Before you start feeling too sorry for "kitty", Chris and I bought my old homestead, so the cat was still among "family." My Mom had made up her mind that "kitty" was just too set in her ways to be moved to a new home. Chris, wanting a dog terribly by this time, questioned this theory, but figured dear old kitty wasn't long for this world anyways...and she'd soon be replaced with a spry, young, new puppy.
A week after the cat died, my grandmother passed away. As people expressed their condolences, Mom and I would respond the same way "Yes, it's been a rough month ... first our kitty died, and now my Mom/Grandmother passed away".
If you're not an animal lover, this response probably seems pretty odd and perhaps a bit unusual. However, its become quite clear to me that our pets, like family members, become part of our daily routine. When they're not around - life seems empty, and we miss them when they're gone.

2 Comments:
I completely get it!
I hope my cat dudes last to see Jadyn through high school....okay, maybe it's not possible to make it quite that long.
Oh wow, now I'm contemplating how I'm going to handle that 'circle of life' moment with my daughter!
I totally understand! I had a beagle named Sandy for 19 years and she was my life. When she passed away I was devestated. It took me four years until I could even think about getting another pet. Now I have my beloved beagle Snoopy and I am in puppy love again!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home