The "count down"...
When I was younger, I used to start my birthday count down about 30 days in advance. Now when I say "younger", literally I mean up until 3 years ago when I turned 30. Even my Dad made the comment a few weeks ago "What happened to the birthday countdowns?"...yeah, once you hit 30, birthdays just don't seem to hold the excitement they once did.
I remember one year (when I was in grade school), I wanted a sleepover as part of my birthday celebration. Hesitantly, my parents agreed, although they (being much more wise than I) knew that it would mean a sleep-deprived Chrissie ... thus an unhappy camper. Sure enough, around 2:00 a.m., while all the girls were still awake and giggling, I tip-toed into my parent's room and said "I'd like them all to go home now please...".
I find it funny, too, that sometimes I/we have the mentality of "I'm not old enough for this...". The other night we were out to dinner with my parents. On the way, Chris asked if I thought my parents would get upset if he had a beer (or two) at dinner. My response was "need I remind you - we're nearly 33 years old now. No, they won't get mad." When the OB confirmed my pregnancy in late July, I looked at him and said "Gosh, I don't feel old enough to be going through this..."(as though there's a "perfect age" to be pregnant?)
Life has a way of flying by ... despite that, I still enjoy my birthday and, although I don't officially make up birthday lists anymore, I still do make one request from my Mom every year as my gift ... one of her famous white cakes with white frosting. The perfect present at any age!
I remember one year (when I was in grade school), I wanted a sleepover as part of my birthday celebration. Hesitantly, my parents agreed, although they (being much more wise than I) knew that it would mean a sleep-deprived Chrissie ... thus an unhappy camper. Sure enough, around 2:00 a.m., while all the girls were still awake and giggling, I tip-toed into my parent's room and said "I'd like them all to go home now please...".
I find it funny, too, that sometimes I/we have the mentality of "I'm not old enough for this...". The other night we were out to dinner with my parents. On the way, Chris asked if I thought my parents would get upset if he had a beer (or two) at dinner. My response was "need I remind you - we're nearly 33 years old now. No, they won't get mad." When the OB confirmed my pregnancy in late July, I looked at him and said "Gosh, I don't feel old enough to be going through this..."(as though there's a "perfect age" to be pregnant?)
Life has a way of flying by ... despite that, I still enjoy my birthday and, although I don't officially make up birthday lists anymore, I still do make one request from my Mom every year as my gift ... one of her famous white cakes with white frosting. The perfect present at any age!

5 Comments:
You, m'dear, are still just a whipper-snapper. But, hey, I think I am too and I got a number of years on ya. I'm into the age is a state of mind thing!
I had added your upcoming birthday to my to do list earlier today. Believe me, I can not for the life of me figure out how I am old enough to have three children with a fourth hopefully coming soon. We often look at each other and say"How did we get here?" Enjoy each and everyday!
Happy Birthday, Chrissie! And congratulations on your pregnancy! I didn't know until I read your blog today. Great news!
I'm turning 31 this Friday the 13th. You're right...it's not exciting at all anymore.
~Mary (2 sons and a daughter)
DTC 3/1/06, LID 3/22/06
Vivian came home 9/20/06
Now mom to Julian (3 1/2), Vivian (2 1/2) and Christian (1 1/2)
I sadly never really remember just how old I am... I am 37, but am likely to say, "35" or "39" depending on when you catch me!
Happy birthday!
And congratulations on the pregnancy!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home