Lost: One functioning Brain
Having worked with several pregnant women in the past 15 years, a common complaint seems to be forgetfulness during pregnancy. Trying to be a good listener, but inwardly thinking "how bad can it really be?", I'd nod my head and act somewhat interested in hearing their pregnancy woes. Never once was I warned about post-pregnancy forgetfulness.
Surely I'm not the only woman suffering with this?
I understand there are more severe problems that I could be suffering from, and I feel fortunate that I am in good health, so I go about writing this post light-heartedly, but nonetheless there are days when I think I've lost most of my functioning brain. Will I ever get it back? Will I ever be able to form complete sentences again without having to think through what I'm saying? Will I ever be able to walk downstairs to the basement without thinking "why did I come down here?" Will I ever be able to stop saying "Where was I going with this?" midway through a story?
So I googled: Losing brain function after pregnancy.
And here's an uplifting exerpt from an article: There are many theories of why this occurs in some pregnant women. One of the theories includes brain shrinkage. Saying that the brain shrinks 3-5% during pregnancy, which takes approximately six months after birth to return to normal.
I'm still waiting for my brain to return to its normal size. Perhaps I should have changed the title to this post: Lost: One full-size Brain. If found: Return to Chrissie.
Surely I'm not the only woman suffering with this?
I understand there are more severe problems that I could be suffering from, and I feel fortunate that I am in good health, so I go about writing this post light-heartedly, but nonetheless there are days when I think I've lost most of my functioning brain. Will I ever get it back? Will I ever be able to form complete sentences again without having to think through what I'm saying? Will I ever be able to walk downstairs to the basement without thinking "why did I come down here?" Will I ever be able to stop saying "Where was I going with this?" midway through a story?
So I googled: Losing brain function after pregnancy.
And here's an uplifting exerpt from an article: There are many theories of why this occurs in some pregnant women. One of the theories includes brain shrinkage. Saying that the brain shrinks 3-5% during pregnancy, which takes approximately six months after birth to return to normal.
I'm still waiting for my brain to return to its normal size. Perhaps I should have changed the title to this post: Lost: One full-size Brain. If found: Return to Chrissie.

1 Comments:
I've also heard, and can attest to, losing more neurons with each additional child. It's been a year since Andrew's was born and I still can't converse properly.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home