Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Tell me it Gets Better?

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think the house-buying experience should work like this?

A few months ago, I mentioned having the old homestead on the market. We had (note past tense) our sights set on a home that, in my opinion, would be the home where we'd spend the next 30 years. Being a 2-story, I'm sure long about 60ish, we'd decide we had enough of the stairs, much like the couple did that was selling.

It was a home somewhat bigger than I imagined myself in, but tastefully decorated, solidly (is that word?) built, newer construction, and features that could make living more comfortable for us as Carley gets older. The one thing that attracted us most to this particular home was the close proximity to my parents ... right around the corner. Or, perhaps, being extremely practical, 2 1/2 bathrooms would be more than I'd know what to do with seeing as we've struggled with 1 bathroom for years.

The summer came and went with our house on the market; lots of lookers, but no takers. An offer came in on our house last week.

The offer was finalized Saturday, at which point we anxiously called up our realtor to come over to draw up a bid on "the dream home". If I didn't believe in signs before, I do now. The sign smacked us hard in the face as we heard the words on the other end of the phone: An offer was made today and accepted.

Bad karma? Bad luck? Bad timing? Or Fannie Mae's and Freddie Mac's revenge? I'm not sure, but its not how I pictured it all working out in the end. And call us crazy (or gluttons for punishment), but the "for sale" sign is still hanging out front...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger CaraBee said...

What bad luck! I hope you're able to find another house just as perfect or that fate will smile on you and you'll be able to get your dream house. I wish we could move to a bigger house, but alas we are at least a couple of years from even thinking about that. I can't imagine how you lived with only one bathroom, though. Yikes!

September 19, 2008  
Blogger Julie said...

Oh my, please update me. Where are you in the process now? Are you looking for another home or did you maybe go in and make an offer on that first house anyway?

September 29, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home