Wednesday, December 23, 2009

I'm Ready

The #1 question for me the past week at work was: Are you ready for Christmas? And, of course, they don't mean are you ready with the food, the stocking stuffers, the gifts for the in-laws, etc. What they mean to ask is: Have you purchased the perfect gifts from Santa for Carley?

I'm starting to appreciate the pressure put on parents (by children) during the "Santa-believing" years. It's a lot to live up to, and Carley certainly isn't even near peak age yet.

I'll admit it ... I'm trying to keep down the Santa hype. I'm all about Carley's routine, and I know Friday is going to be a whopper of a day to mess up the routine(s) I so adamantly try and keep (i.e. a good nap). Because in the end, I know that no nap = a sick kid, and I'm just not up for that having just gotten over the Thanksgiving illness.

Getting back to the "perfect gift" ... all she asked for is a scooter. Yep. Got that long ago at Target. Then last week, she springs up the answer of "I want an Ariel doll" when asked by my cousin: What did you ask Santa to bring you for Christmas? Thankfully, Ariels are simple to find, so check that off the list.

My last great she's-gonna-love-it gift idea was to buy a small Disney-themed some-sort-of princess adorned suitcase to put Barbies in ... filling it with a handful of dolls. Chris and I differed in our presentation approach. I, again thinking "simple", planned to put the suitcase out - unwrapped - with the dolls (already opened) in the suitcase. Chris thought everything should be wrapped. Heh.

I made the final decision on my own.

I've saved minutes of toddler agony by carefully undoing each Barbie ... which, I learned quickly, had tie-downs in the head (see Exhibit A). You'd think you could just cut the plastic strap, use a pair of tweezers, and the other end would come out? No. Like horns - they protrude out of Ariel's head. The other end forever lost in Ariel's little rubber brain.

I spent more time denting in Barbie's head ... trying to cut down the plastic as much as I could. Seriously. It would have been a complete nightmare on Christmas morning. Really. He'll thank me later. And in the end, they are wrapped - all 5 of them snug in an old Juicy perfume box.


Exhibit A - Ariel's poor head



The end result

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas girlfriend! We are ready to....no Santa believers left in our house - it does lose some of the magic. We got 8 Inches of snow last night. Expecting another 8-12 tonight! Winter Wonderland it is!!
Cari

December 24, 2009  
Blogger dreamer said...

that's awesome, the ideas for the suitcase! Looking forward to hearing more of how the 'perfect' Christmas goes for you and your family!

December 24, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home