Toddler Tree Decorating 101
Ah, the holidays ... another year, another year older. Although Carley isn't fond of Santa, she's enjoying Christmas tunes, decorating, and re-arranging Mary, Joseph, and clan in the nativity. She particularly likes putting the baby (Jesus) in "her" bathtub (the wood manger).
We've had our first real dose of snow this week. Today was certainly a no-venture out day, so it was the perfect time to pull out the small alpine tree I usually decorate for a smaller room. It's about 2 1/2 feet tall - the perfect height for an almost-3 year old.
I had decided long before Carley started decorating it, that no matter where the ornaments landed ... that's where they'd stay. Nope. I would not move them. No matter HOW bottom-heavy the tree looked. No matter how much my sometimes OCD-tendencies kicked in.
But surely, the small little tree would solve that problem, right? Surely, in the mind of an almost-3 year old, she'd figure out the entire tree could be utilized.
Alas, here are some things I learned when it was all said and done:

We've had our first real dose of snow this week. Today was certainly a no-venture out day, so it was the perfect time to pull out the small alpine tree I usually decorate for a smaller room. It's about 2 1/2 feet tall - the perfect height for an almost-3 year old.
I had decided long before Carley started decorating it, that no matter where the ornaments landed ... that's where they'd stay. Nope. I would not move them. No matter HOW bottom-heavy the tree looked. No matter how much my sometimes OCD-tendencies kicked in.
But surely, the small little tree would solve that problem, right? Surely, in the mind of an almost-3 year old, she'd figure out the entire tree could be utilized.
Alas, here are some things I learned when it was all said and done:
- A toddler obviously thinks the lower branches are the only part of the tree that can hold ornaments.
- A toddler will take into consideration decorating other parts of the tree, when given direction (or a little persuasion) to do so.
- No matter how gaudy I think pink lights look, a toddler finds them fun and appealing.
- Ornaments that I classify as outdated and old are new and exciting for Carley.
- Breakable ornaments and a toddler don't mix well. A handful of ornaments will not have to be stored away this year...
And so it sits ... in our basement (because that's her big 'ole playroom) for all to enjoy ... the bottom-heavy, pink-lighted alpine tree - adorned with late 80's, early 90's bear ornaments.
Happy Holidays!

2 Comments:
Soooooo Cute!
Our tree is pretty sparsely decorated. Nothing breakable, by either cats or kid. Which means that all of my beautiful ornaments I have collected over the years will have to wait until she is big enough to know better and the cats are dead. Which, if those little turds keep scratching my furniture, may be sooner than later.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home