Saturday, December 06, 2008

And a Partridge in a Pear Tree

As a kid, my parents were always very generous with gifts at Christmas. My Mom would always say that was the one time a year she would really go all-out. Throughout the year, other than new school clothes or on birthdays, we'd rarely get presents. Christmas morning was always a grand occasion at our home; filled with so many special memories, good food, family, and just-the-perfect gifts.

So just how much is 'too much' for a nearly 2-year old? While Carley has down pat ho-ho-ho, and while she's now completely enamored with the tree and holiday decorations (that could be a whole separate post) -- is a handful of gifts (including a handful of new books) enough? Surely at this age, she wouldn't be keeping tab of Santa's deliveries to our house?

I thought I found that special gift, but after today ... we've changed our minds. After smashing (its a harsh word, but one that most accurately describes the moment) her face on the basement floor (and me vowing she'll never step foot downstairs again on my watch) and a trip to the ER to ensure no broken nose (thankfully, not broken), we've decided floor-playing toys only.

I had a grand idea for blog posting over the next few weeks. I was going to do the 12 days of Christmas Carley-style. Doesn't everyone want to see 12 pictures of Carley with "accessories" from the song 'The 12 days of Christmas'? Oh it was going to be grand. Lords O' Leaping was going to be my only stumbling block -- she doesn't know how to jump. But oh yes. It was going to be clever.

I'd offer to post the 12 days of a bruised nose healing, but I'm beating myself up over this enough, and it would just be a bit too painful to permanently post pictures of that poor little nose.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Oh no, sorry to hear about Carley's fall. Don't beat yourself up. Accidents happen so fast. Believe me, I know. Kamryn has had several (3 I can remember) accidents that have left her face bruised up. Luckily, these little ones heal up so fast and nicely that hopefully you won't have any reminders of this.

December 07, 2008  
Blogger CaraBee said...

My daughter is perpetually covered in bruises. I worry that people will think she is abused when they see her bare legs, arms or her head for that matter. Despite that, we are getting her a bouncy horse for Christmas (http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-Classic-Rock-Bounce/dp/B0007YDCKE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1228700423&sr=1-6). We may be tempting fate, but I think she'll love it.

December 07, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home