Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Next Frontier ... Preschool

The thought of sending Carley to a "pre" preschool type program starting creeping into my head shortly after the beginning of the year. When you work in a large company, I've discovered you have lots of resources to bounce questions off of ... other Mommas. And they'll give you their opinions.

Sometimes too much.

But nonetheless, it's good to pick their brains.

My parents? At the time, not too convinced it was the right time (or necessary) to start Carley in preschool. Until one day at the zoo last spring. Carley was playing with some little plastic animals in the Adventure Center ... very happily setting them up in the pretend "mini" zoo display. Out of nowhere, a little boy -- not too much older than Carley -- swooped in and snatched the animals. And not so nicely, my Mom was quick to add.

Of course, motherly (or shall I say grandmotherly) instincts kicked in. She immediately wanted to grab them back for Carley, but instead watched Carley's reaction. Nothing. No "hey those were mine" ... no "hey, I was playing with that". Nothing. Instead Carley slinked into the arms of my Dad for protection. At that moment, they both realized that Carley needed a little direction on how to play with other kids.

So I inquired. I visited. And I asked questions. You'd think I was filling out applications for college. And in the end, Carley got signed-up for two mornings/week for just a couple hours. Enough to give her exposure to other kiddos ... and, of course, germs. I sense it's going to be a long winter!



Orientation day (it was hot!)

Carley's 1st "official" fly-solo day of school (20 degrees cooler!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home