One Week 'til the Fat Man Flies
At almost 2 years old, I don't think Carley quite gets Christmas. She's certainly animated and "into" things more than last Christmas, but overall I'd say she is probably guessing that white and blue lit tree in the living room was put there for her amusement -- not the holidays.
Nonetheless, I am assigning myself motherly-Christmas duties such as baking a few different varieties of cookies and some family holiday entertaining (neither which, I might add, do I enjoy). But I'm doing it. Because as a child, that's the example my Mom set for us. You spread cheer. You bake cookies. You clean a house thoroughly before entertaining. You play Christmas songs.
My Mom is an avid baker. As I type this, she's most likely whipping up variety #17 of Christmas cookies. Growing up, we always helped her bake; however, looking back at the experience now as an adult, I'm noticing that Mom was smart enough to assign us 'crap' jobs when we asked to help. Smart lady.
One of those 'crap' jobs was unwrapping the hershey kisses for peanut butter cookies. Following in my Mom's footsteps -- I was quick to assign Carley this task. Fortunately for me -- she loved it.
How'd I get her not to eat them all? I told her they were Logan's dog treats. Which obviously was a mistake, because she then proceeded to unwrap and give them to Logan. Smart girl.

But no worries, Logan is fine...a little fatter for the holidays, but fine.
Nonetheless, I am assigning myself motherly-Christmas duties such as baking a few different varieties of cookies and some family holiday entertaining (neither which, I might add, do I enjoy). But I'm doing it. Because as a child, that's the example my Mom set for us. You spread cheer. You bake cookies. You clean a house thoroughly before entertaining. You play Christmas songs.
My Mom is an avid baker. As I type this, she's most likely whipping up variety #17 of Christmas cookies. Growing up, we always helped her bake; however, looking back at the experience now as an adult, I'm noticing that Mom was smart enough to assign us 'crap' jobs when we asked to help. Smart lady.
One of those 'crap' jobs was unwrapping the hershey kisses for peanut butter cookies. Following in my Mom's footsteps -- I was quick to assign Carley this task. Fortunately for me -- she loved it.
How'd I get her not to eat them all? I told her they were Logan's dog treats. Which obviously was a mistake, because she then proceeded to unwrap and give them to Logan. Smart girl.
And chocolate isn't so great for dogs...
Labels: 'Tis the Season

2 Comments:
I've been in a baking frenzy around here, too. Going a little crazy from it too. To top it off, I have a cookie exchange on Sunday that I need to bake 6 dozen cookies for. I mean, I love coming home with all those cookies but spending half of Saturday getting ready for it isn't that much fun.
So glad that Carley liked helping you! How fun to be in the kitchen with your daughter:)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home